Saturday, May 31, 2008

Namsan Mtn and 63 Building

Saturday was full of adventure and pain for the Billi. I opted to wear the worst shoes ever and it was a horrible idea. Nine hours of walking was not a great idea. I'm now very sore and have six blisters on my feet. I did have a great time, though. We went to McDonald's for breakfast and then headed to the station to go to the N Seoul Tower.


The little streamy thing, lots of fish in the water

Me and a big heart!

random comics on the side of a power box thing

the street that McDonald's is on

The bricks are thrown down on sand and the tree roots hold the sidewalk together, all according to Mel.

McDonald's is pretty popular. They don't serve American beef, no worries.

the menu board - pancakes and egg mcmuffins

the food. we got eggs though we didn't orer them haha

a less than fantastic area by the subway station. See, there is poverty everywhere!


Once we got off at the correct station we had a hell of a time figuring out where to go. We walked around to a dead end and then found the correct way. haha. After walking way up this mountain, we caught the cable car to the top so we could 'observe' the city from the top. It was a lot of fun.
Our destination.. so far away!

i couldn't resist a photo of this advertisement on the optometrist window

young girls unchaperoned, does this happen in the USA? NO!

The first bit of our travel up the mountain

the first flight of stairs!

Billi's climbing commentary

We are on the cable car... something I've never done and I'm terrified of stuff like this. I was brave!

view of the city from the cable car

again, a view!

a beautiful little building

finally, we made it!

The N Seoul sign

random grass sculpture

view from the top


A little tear jerking at times but you know, stuff happens. I thought it was really sweet and romantic how many locks were on the fence. When Mel told me about this when she first got here I thought it was so sweet and romantic. Seeing it myself was fantastic and made me want to lock my love on the fence as well, if only I had a romantic partner.
Wow, isn't it amazing

the initial few of these locks of love.

they are all inscripted with messages in english or korean

mushy mushy


There were these smokehouses used to notify Seoul if North Korea ever were to attack. There is a great view from between the smokehouses.
Mel leaning against a smokehouse, admiring the city

I am too short to get up on the wall, so I stand beside the smokehouse!



Then we grabbed the cable car back down the mountain, walked down many flights of stairs, and started our shopping spree.
Mel getting fresh spun cotton candy.

on the ride down

this was the next car coming down! I can't believe i actually did this.



We went to the underground market and then to Namdaemun Market. Mel bought several items while I was more frugal. Eh. Oh wells.
YAY! the underground market

inside the market

They are rebuilding this from when it burnt a few months ago, so there is a wall of what it used to look like surrounding the entire place.

these blankets say MODERN FEEL and COMFORT IN THE HEM. I thought it funny

need some blackmarket US goods, GO HERE!

leaving the market

something was going on, lots of people were outside

The police lined all roads, it was intense.

i just thought this made a cool photo

the swirly thing!

where we had lunch

I had creamy bacon spaghetti. It was freakin' amazing!

Mel has seafood tomato spaghetti

more people, a building. police persons.

another exciting subway stop


Then we made our way to our ultimate destination - the 63 Building. It is Korea's 2nd tallest building and has a lot of cool stuff inside. She hadn't been there yet, either so it was a lot of fun finding it. I took a zillion photos of the view from the top but will only post a few here for you. We got off at the wrong station and walked about an hour to find it. When we left, we realized there was a closer station about fifteen minutes away!! My feet were blistered and ow and I was so frustrated we didn't realize that the other station would be A LOT closer. You live and you learn, right?! We had planned on taking a night cruise but the next one wasn't leaving for another hour and a half. So, we decided to wait and do it on Sunday.

The first of many signs we had to follow on our long walk to the building

the automatic door tells me that the 63 Building is my special story!

my first view

wow, what a city! See the N Seoul Tower? We traveled across the city. :)

this bridge photo looks amazing

the sun was going down

there is part of the floor that is see through.. don't wear a skirt!

from right outside the building.

this random sculpture

yes, i am tiny compared to a 63 story building

this awesome bridge on our walk to the cruise area

looking back at the 63 Building. Isn't it fantastic!?

a different side of the city. amazing

need candy? at the subway convenience store

this almost our stop - Songnae Station

embarrassing photo of the day, Mel face deep in Watermelon

1 comment:

RunningFeet said...

Billi-
I love reading your perspective on Korea, seeing it through your eyes. I would definitely come and visit you, or go back there with you and feel totally at ease. Something I would usually never say. I am very proud of you, and am amazed that you are so brave to try such an adventure. At the lock wall, you should have put up a lock and dedicated it to yourself. Loving yourself, and being true to yourself. The ultimate pledge. This is Patrick, b.t.w.