Saturday, May 24, 2008

National Museum, Itaewon, Indiana Jones

Today (Saturday) I woke up early yet again. ahh. I am so not wanting to be up at 5am. Eventually Mel woke up and we got around. We decided to go to the National Museum of Korea and they had an exhibit on Persia. We took the subway, my first subway time in Korea. I have bad motion sickness and it was a 45 minute ride of nausea lol. The museum was amazing. We both really like museums so it was an adventure and we learned a lot of stuff. I took photos and it was cool. The workers were very helpful and asked us what they could do for us every time we turned around. It was a good price for the special exhibit and the permanent collection. unfortunately, no one is allowed to photograph things in the Persian exhibit.


The head of a tomb guardian beast, 8th century!

Mel acting super Korean in the "photo area" of the museum

me and my Korean sugarmama haha not. She was getting a photo just when I was getting one.

canopy, throne and painting backdrop of the Crown Hall. This is a replica of the actual throne from Gyeongbokgung Palace.

Record of buried placenta's of princes/princesses.

writings on the outside of a box that bodies were buried in

beautiful painting of a mountain

a bronze vessel from 206 BC!

the happy lily pads outside of the museum

a picture of a king

ancient coins


key plaques

This is the punishing stick! Who wants to get whipped with this?!

Afterward we decided to get lunch and we traveled into Itaewon which is known as the foreigner district. It was pretty lame to me actually. I really liked the place we went for lunch, an italian pizza place. I got to pick the pizza and we had salami and cheese. hehe. It was very tasty. Then we went to What the Book and Mel purchased some books. Then we trekked home in the hottest part of the day. (have i ever told you how much i hate sweating!) We brought the subway home and then took a cab to her exact location. then we drank a bottle of wine and I took a nap.


the sign inside of our window of the cab. some cabs offer this service, but not all.

After nap time we went to the park so she could do her nightly run. I just sat on a bench and watched the Koreans playing badminton at 10pm. talk about interesting.



Then it was off to the movie place because Mel has been dying to see the new Indiana Jones movie. The only one with tickets left was a midnight showing. So, we got some dinner, eavesdropped on some other foreigners, had ice cream and then went to see our movie.

the convenience store!

this random heart sculpture outside of the mall that we went to see a movie in. haha. Apparently they put up random stuff every few months. It is made from fake flowers.

1 comment:

Jayme said...

When I got up today I told David about your blog journal and realized that I couldn't wait to see what you guys did today. Work has been insane all night! I enjoy being able to escape for a few minutes to join you on your journey. -jayme